Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Money = Happiness?



"CAN MONEY BRING HAPPINESS?" HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE QUESTION IN EVERYONE’S MIND. BUT THE ANSWER WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN PORTRAYED WAS, MONEY CANNOT BUY HAPPINESS. BUT NOWADAYS, WITH IMPROVED TECHNOLOGY AND WITH HIGH SPENDING OF MONEY IN THE SOCIETY, WITHOUT MONEY, CAN HAPPINESS HAPPEN?

This afternoon was the day, the day where four people went shopping together, Jeffanie, Jess, Jeff and me, where only 3 of their names started with an “J”, but that is not the point. The point here is that we went to a shopping complex which is known for its class, for its fame, but what we did not went for was the price it cost us there.

We went there at the first place is because I wanted to buy a gift for my “brother” as his birthday present and the whole process itself went quite well. Firstly, we went to the department store in KLCC, a twin tower once known by its fame in the eyes of the world, but has been commented as the skinniest, but tallest tower in the world. Back to the story. When we were at the department store, we went to the perfume department in which choices of perfumes are displayed to the customers. Looking at the perfume itself is not a problem, but trying it out is definitely one of the biggest problems ever in which in our case, we have tried more than 20 types of perfume and although with the help of some grounded coffee beans, which was supposed to neutralize our sense, it did not help much either, the mixture of all types of perfume smell was still inside out nose, mixing out some weird smell which had caused dizziness in us. But rather or not, I was quite happy, not only because I did purchase a perfume or the saleswomen was very nice to us, it was because I bought it together with three new buddies of mine after I was being separated from the another class.

We bought the perfume, although it is quite costly, but there are still lots of freebies which was given by the pretty saleswomen and what I was impressed of was the attitude, the ability to get close to the saleswomen, the ability of PR and also all the ability to communicate well between the customers and also the salesperson, which could not be found in other stores of perfume seller. I bought a perfume and because she knew that it will be used as a present, she even offered me to wrap it up, free of charge, and with loads of freebies given by her, all sorts of perfume samples, facial wash, a pouch, and also a few more items which was wrapped inside the box.

I purchased it and we went out for a walk, and only after so many years have I found out that the place itself is definitely not a suitable place for a person like me to shop and all we can do was to walk around. This is because I was wearing a watch which needed some minor servicing and we went to the store to actually ask for a service, but the lady in the store told me that, it needed approximately around 700 to 800 bucks just for a minor service like that. WHAT??!!!! 700 to 800 bucks, but I did not show my expression, and all I did was to ask for a leave.

After that, things has gotten into my mind as we were off window shopping, things there are pricey, which is definitely not a standard or class of mine. But I was happy though, because I have bought something which can be used as a present with quite an affordable price. But here comes the question, if things are so unaffordable for the local people, definitely the target would be foreigners, but does this means that they are actually neglecting the locals? Does this means that all the locals can do is just to walk around, window shopping and do nothing else? Does this mean that the locals do not have the rights at all to purchase all these items which are imported into the country that is meant for the locals? The questions are still running around my head.

But regardless, if things are to be looked at the other side of the perspective, money does buy happiness, but only a partial of it, but for the time in this era, money comes first, and then the feeling of happiness comes later, although it doesn’t occur in every situation, but definitely, it is a bridge towards happiness…

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Interesting thoughts! I believe it’s not possible to make a general statement on whether money makes people more or less happy. Money comes with a whole set of new elements that may have good or bad impact on our happiness, and depending on how susceptible we are to every one of them, the conclusion will go one way or the other (i.e. different from person to person). I recently made an effort to provide a more comprehensive picture of what these ad- and disadvantages are. I invite you to have a look at Money and Happiness and tell me what you think!
    Thank you, Nick

    ReplyDelete